Monday, March 21, 2005

Books on tape

I think it's just hilarious how the weather here in Utah has been absolutely beautiful for weeks now, to the point where even the flowers and animals think it's springtime, and then it snowed on March 20, the first day of spring. And now it's cold and dismal. But oh, well. I guess March must just be a precursor to those April showers, which are in turn a precursor to May flowers, which are a precursor to the pilgrims. Okay, lame pun. Anyway.

I downloaded the scriptures off of LDS.org and burned the Triple Combination (Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine & Covenants) to an MP3 CD. I've really been meaning to read from the Book of Mormon, but in the few cases where I have time outside of school and work and everything, I'm not really in the mood to sit and read scripture. So I play the MP3 CD in my car as I commute. It seems to be working well so far. I'll try to share any scriptures I hear that are particularly trenchant. For starters, I'll share a bit from 2 Nephi. Now, lest there be any confusion among non-LDS readers, we "Mormons" do believe in the Bible, both the New and Old Testaments, and the Book of Mormon is not a replacement for those, but rather another Testament of Jesus Christ. I'm not listening to the Book of Mormon because I feel that it's any more important than the Bible, but because I'm much more familiar with the Bible right now than I am with the Book of Mormon. Anyway, moving on, here are some verses from 2 Nephi, Ch. 2. Pay special attention to verse 25; I really like that one:

22 And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end.

23 And they would have had no achildren; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no bjoy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no csin.

24 But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who aknoweth all things.

25 aAdam bfell that men might be; and men care, that they might have djoy.

26 And the aMessiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may bredeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are credeemed from the fall they have become dfree forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the elaw at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.

1 comment:

Liz L. Jensen said...

That was a pretty bad pun, it took me two reads to get it :)

I love the scripture-isn't it great how it makes things so clear. And I love the reminder that we are here to "have joy."